Thursday, January 10, 2008

Gas and fire, gas and fire, gas and fire...

What are the two things needed for combustion? Gas and fire. You must have these two things for the engine to run.

But, it isn't that simple. I had gas, and I had a spark, but I wasn't getting anywhere. Well, there's a little more to that phrase. Your spark has to come at the right time. Took me forever to figure out that the distributor, when put in, was 180* (thanks to the builder...geez).

And it started. It was wonderful. Ran like a champ. Went home after a victory, and came back the next day to drive it home. No start.

I spent several more days trying to mess with timing, vacuum, etc. because we had not touched a single thing. It ran before, why would it change? Well, it all boils back to the basics. Gas and fire. Turns out, I was not getting any type of spark. Tested each wire, and no spark. Tested the coil wire, and no spark. I then knew it had to be the coil, the electronic ignition module (EIM), or the coil wire. Tested a new coil wire (easiest test) and got the same results. I just so happened to have a spare EIM laying around, so I stuck it in there, and after a couple minutes of rewiring, BAM! it started right up. Unbelievable. Thank you Pertronix for your $100 EIM which lasted me around 4 months.

Now, we've caught up to current time. The car should be driven home today, after 46 days of being apart. The timing and speeds will need to be messed with a little, and she'll be ready.

No comments: