Thursday, January 10, 2008

The Engine Swap

Thanksgiving, 2007 - January 15, 2008

I found an longblock on www.craigslist.org, and I jumped at the chance to get it. Here are the specs:
200 ci inline 6 (1966 block)
.010" overbore
Stock cam
Stock pistons
1970 head (1.75" carb hole)

Then I added:
Holley/Weber 5200 (2bbl progressive carburetor, with K&N filter)
Stock fuel pump
Fuel pressure regulator
Custom carburetor linkage
Stock alternator
Stock exhaust manifold

The engine cost me $500, and the carburetor setup cost me ~$100. Then count the countless tiny things like fittings and bolts and stuff, and it just got riduculous.

I wouldn't feel right knowing there was a brand new engine with an old transmission, so I had it rebuilt. It cost me ~$400 and they did an excellent job. That was including a new torque converter as well (very hard to find).

Overall, this project of swapping cost me close to $1500.

The swap was not too bad, looking back. But the problem was I had never attempted anything so daring (and stupid), so it was definitely a new experience.

No comments: