Thursday, November 3, 2011

Scored a Compressor!

I'm excited about the deal I scored today!  I had been monitoring the sales and prices of compressors around here and online, when I ran across the Morgan Series 60 gallon compressor on Northern Tool's website.  It's Reconditioned, but I don't mind as I picked up a 1-year warranty for no-hassle replacement.  Here are the compressor's specifications:


HP
3.7
Volts
240
CFM at 90 PSI
11.5
Max. PSI
155
Tank Type
Vertical
Air Tank Size (gal.)
60
Stage
Single
Drive
Belt
Motor Phase(s)
Single
Air Outlet Size (in.)
3/8
Portable or Stationary
Stationary
Pump
Cast iron, in-line twin, oil lubed
Manufacturer Warranty
1 month parts / 1 month labor
Ship Weight
245.0 lbs
Item#
211112
 
The hardest part about it is going to be the unloading.  I'm pretty confident about securely strapping it down and transporting it home (a mere 3 miles or so), but unloading it and carrying it into the garage will be tough.  As well as wiring a 240V connection.  And 240V 40A circuit breakers aren't cheap, either. :-)
 
As for what I plan on using this for, I will be shooting primer and some paint, as well as hooking it up to a sandblaster and cleaning up a few small parts for the car, which will need to be painted.  That will be wonderful :-D

The other thing I've been working on is the tedious - and dirty - task of removing the undercoating.  First, I had to replace my Multi-Tool with a new one after only a few weeks, due to poorly made junk.  But I don't really mind...swapping it out was free and I paid nearly nothing for it to begin with.  

So I began using the scraper blade attachment, and sort of skimmed off the thick layer of undercoating.  There appeared to be 2 types of undercoating.  One was black/darker, and one was very light, almost beige.  The darker undercoating came off with little effort.  The beige undercoating took LOTS of elbow grease to get it off, and even then, a lot remained stuck on.  Anyway, after a while, I moved on to the angle grinder, taking off the light coating of undercoating that remained.  The result was phenomenal!  The Red Oxide Primer underneath was still in great shape, with very little to no surface rust.  There are a few holes, though, from above (floor pans).  That's a different story.  

So, I spent the better part of the evening vacuuming all that crap off the floor, and I'll be back under it next week, scraping and grinding and vacuuming some more.  But until then, I've got to dream about painting!

Thanks for stopping in.

No comments: