Saturday, October 29, 2011

Air and Paint and What to do?

I've been inundated with baseball lately, but in the meantime, I've been doing quite a bit of research on all this painting stuff.  Here's about what I have come up with, for my paint setup.

For my compressors, I'm still undecided on which method I will go, but here are the two I'm looking at.  In both cases, I am coupling 2 compressors together, as it is much cheaper than buying one large compressor.

Compressor Option #1
  • Harbor Freight's 2HP 10-gallon Compressor (2)
  • 20 Gallons combined volume
  • 12.4 SCFM @ 40 psi (each compressor is 6.2 SCFM @ 40 psi)
  • 120V, 14.1 A
  • Price is $220
Compressor Option #2

  • Husky 1.8HP 20-gallon Compressor (2)
  • 40 Gallons combined volume
  • 12.2 SCFM @ 40 psi (each compressor is 6.1 SCFM @ 40 psi)
  • 115V, 13.5 A
  • Price is $240 
  • (Note, this just went out of stock...how awesome :-\ )
 So for $20 more, I get 20 gallons more, though I am getting 2 reconditioned compressors...

The next step in my research was to find what sort of sequence I would be doing all this in.  If you remember back, I'm planning on using a little bit of POR15 (not everywhere like crazy), epoxy primer, seam sealer, and some engine bay paint.  Actual exterior paint will be determined at a later date.

So here's what I came up with:

1. Sand/Strip the Engine Bay, Interior, and Underbody
       a.  I've now been informed that, if the bond between the stock paint on the interior, and the metal, is good, then just scuff it up really good and epoxy prime it.  This will keep me from having to do so much Chemical stripping, which I am not a fan of.

2. Prep the Interior and Underbody where POR15 will be applied (Marine Clean and Prep & Ready)
3. Apply POR15 (or...?) to the floor pans, and possibly some areas in the engine bay.

4. Spray on Epoxy Primer over POR15 while tacky? (Still not sure on this)

5. Apply Seam Sealer where there are seams.

6. Spray on 2nd coat of Epoxy Primer over POR15, and coat the rest of the areas in primer.

7. Paint everything from the firewall > forward with Eastwood's 2K Ceramic Underhood Black (as well as the front frame rails behind the firewall). I'm going to have to build a mini paint-booth around my engine bay for this.
From here I can move on to taping off all the underbody (which will be primed in Red Oxide) and the engine bay (now painted in 2K Underhood Black), and Prime/Paint all the exterior. Thankfully though at this point I should be able to reassemble most of the drivetrain/suspension/steering, so I can move the car if necessary...perhaps to a real painter.

I'm still not decided on what guns I want to use, but Husky has a 2-gun kit, complete with extra hoppers and a full cleaning set.  It's a pretty good deal, too.

No comments: