Sunday, October 24, 2010

Carpet Removal

I spent much of this past weekend pulling the carpet out of the interior.  The carpet was in terrible shape, and appeared to be about 5 different colors.  The floor pans underneath was the goal though - we had looked under the car and visually inspected them, but nothing is as good as looking from the top (where water tends to collect).  After pulling everything out and filling several trash bags, I found that they were really not in too bad of shape.  The drivers side was in significantly better shape (not that the passenger side was bad, however).  On both sides, in the rear floor pan, there were 5-10 pinholes.  Not exactly sure what I will do there to fix them.

Another new goal I have is to swap the C4 Automatic 3-speed to a T5 manual 5-speed.  I've looked at the costs and the fun-factor, and it's too appealing to turn down.  Will be quite a few months of part- and deal-searching, but I think I can do this swap for less than what most people have done it for.  After all, I'm a cheapskate :-)

Edit:
Here are some pictures of the carpet removal:






Ignore the large hole on the lower left.  That's the hole for my 3-point seat belt anchor.  I'm not sure I like it, honestly - it's kind of warped, which makes me worry about the strength of the floor pan sheet metal. 

No comments: